New fishing regulations for Lake of the Woods are getting thethumbs up, especially for lake trout limits.
The Ministry of Natural Resources recently came out with its2010 fishing guide.
Gord Pyzer is one of the people who has been pushing for the lake trout catchrestrictions and says it will help protect the species for years to come.
Under the new regulations, there is a zero catch limit for lake trout in much of the northern part of Lake of the Woods.
The exception is Whitefish Bay and other areas on the southwestside of Lake of the Woods.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
CJRL IPOD APP
If you're on the receiving end of a new iPod Touch or iPhone this Christmas -- you will be able to take along CJRL where ever you go.
Our parent company - Acadia Broadcasting - has just launched a new app that allows you to listen to our station on your new smart phone or iPod.
And soon the leading edge technology will also allow you to see the name of the current song and artist as well as the previous ten songs.
You can get the free app by going to our web site at CJRL.CA and clicking on the iPhone - iPod button.
Blackberry users aren't being left out in the cold - a similar app for their phones is currently in the development stage.
Our parent company - Acadia Broadcasting - has just launched a new app that allows you to listen to our station on your new smart phone or iPod.
And soon the leading edge technology will also allow you to see the name of the current song and artist as well as the previous ten songs.
You can get the free app by going to our web site at CJRL.CA and clicking on the iPhone - iPod button.
Blackberry users aren't being left out in the cold - a similar app for their phones is currently in the development stage.
Fellowship Centre Winter Project
The Fellowship Center on Water Street will continue its emergency drop-in facility this winter despite a lack of funding.
The provincial government had been providing some job-training money to the group for the past three year.
Colin Wasacase is member of the Board of the Fellowship Center and says that source of funding recently dried up.
Wasacase says they plan to start up a campaign in the new year to try and get local agencies and businesses to provide funding for their "Winter Project".
The provincial government had been providing some job-training money to the group for the past three year.
Colin Wasacase is member of the Board of the Fellowship Center and says that source of funding recently dried up.
Wasacase says they plan to start up a campaign in the new year to try and get local agencies and businesses to provide funding for their "Winter Project".
Economic Development Commission Budget
The Lake of the Woods Economic Development Corporation won't be seeking any increase in its budget from the City of Kenora next year.
The commission presented its draft budget to council on Friday.
Geordie McEwan is one of the directors of the commission and saysthey had talked about a modest increase, but decided against it.
Total spending for the Economic Development Commission will be about 690 thousand dollars, which includes funding for the city's tourism department and Economic Development officer.
The commission presented its draft budget to council on Friday.
Geordie McEwan is one of the directors of the commission and saysthey had talked about a modest increase, but decided against it.
Total spending for the Economic Development Commission will be about 690 thousand dollars, which includes funding for the city's tourism department and Economic Development officer.
Holiday Garbage Collection
Garbage and Recycling crews will be taking the day off for the Christmas holiday.
Minto and JM North are typically scheduled for Friday pick up, but Spokesperson Mike Mostowe says they've created a holiday collection schedule.
People in those areas are asked to put out their garbage and recylcing early tomorrow morning.
The transfer facility will be open half a day on Christmas Eve, and closed Christmas and Boxing Day.
Minto and JM North are typically scheduled for Friday pick up, but Spokesperson Mike Mostowe says they've created a holiday collection schedule.
People in those areas are asked to put out their garbage and recylcing early tomorrow morning.
The transfer facility will be open half a day on Christmas Eve, and closed Christmas and Boxing Day.
Drive Test Strike Over
The Director of Young Drivers in Kenora and Dryden is pleased to see the end of the driving instructor strike.
Drive Test staff who've been on strike since August have reached a tentative deal with the company.
Maria Bagdonas says DriveTest facilities should be open for exams the first week of January.
The company will also be hiring 100 people to deal with the backlog that's expected to take several months to clear.
Drive Test staff who've been on strike since August have reached a tentative deal with the company.
Maria Bagdonas says DriveTest facilities should be open for exams the first week of January.
The company will also be hiring 100 people to deal with the backlog that's expected to take several months to clear.
Drug Bust
Two Kenora men face drug charges following a bust by the OPP's Drug and Organized Crime Unit.
Police say they stopped a vehicle on Rabbit Lake Road around 2:00 Sunday afternoon and found the occupants were in possession of a quantity ofdrugs.
Officers seized a small amount of cocaine, 27 grams of ecstasy, and seven grams of marijuana.
The drugs have a street value of about two thousand dollars.
24 year old Christopher Weibe and 21 year old Julian Theriault have been charged with possession of a narcotic for the purpose of trafficking.
They are scheduled to be in Kenora Court on February 8th, to answer the charge.
Police say they stopped a vehicle on Rabbit Lake Road around 2:00 Sunday afternoon and found the occupants were in possession of a quantity ofdrugs.
Officers seized a small amount of cocaine, 27 grams of ecstasy, and seven grams of marijuana.
The drugs have a street value of about two thousand dollars.
24 year old Christopher Weibe and 21 year old Julian Theriault have been charged with possession of a narcotic for the purpose of trafficking.
They are scheduled to be in Kenora Court on February 8th, to answer the charge.
Drunk Driving
The message of not drinking and driving doesn't seem to be gettingthrough to some people.
Over the weekend, the Kenora OPP pulled over five motorists andcharged them with driving while under the influence of alcohol.
Inspector Dave Lucas says in many instances, officers are actingin tips from the public, who are reporting intoxicated driverswho are getting behind the wheel.
The OPP is also continuing its RIDE program right through the holiday season.
Over the weekend, the Kenora OPP pulled over five motorists andcharged them with driving while under the influence of alcohol.
Inspector Dave Lucas says in many instances, officers are actingin tips from the public, who are reporting intoxicated driverswho are getting behind the wheel.
The OPP is also continuing its RIDE program right through the holiday season.
Hit and Run
A 34 year old Grassy Narrows man has been taken to the Winnipeg Health Sciences Center following a hit and run accident in Kenora.
The OPP say the accident took place around 5:30 Saturday morning while a pedestrian was walking along Railway Street.
Witnesses say a small brown car struck the man.
The driver then turned around, got out of the vehicle, said he was sorry to the victim and then drove off towards town.
The OPP say they are looking for any information that might identify the driver.
They believe the car may have some fresh damage, but they don't know at this time the extent.
The vicitim suffered a broken leg, but his injuries are not considered life threatening.
The OPP say the accident took place around 5:30 Saturday morning while a pedestrian was walking along Railway Street.
Witnesses say a small brown car struck the man.
The driver then turned around, got out of the vehicle, said he was sorry to the victim and then drove off towards town.
The OPP say they are looking for any information that might identify the driver.
They believe the car may have some fresh damage, but they don't know at this time the extent.
The vicitim suffered a broken leg, but his injuries are not considered life threatening.
Monday, December 21, 2009
Thistles Game Scores
It was a long weekend for the Kenora Triple "a" midget Thistles.
The Thistles played three games away from home.
On Friday, Kenora was edged 5-4 in overtime by the Southwest Cougars.
Saturday the Thistles rebounded with a 7-4 thumping of the Yellowhead Chiefs.
The midgets rounded out the weekend with a hard fought 3-2 loss to the Cougars.
Next game for the Thistles is Wednesday at Thistle Rink against the Winnipeg Wild.
The Thistles played three games away from home.
On Friday, Kenora was edged 5-4 in overtime by the Southwest Cougars.
Saturday the Thistles rebounded with a 7-4 thumping of the Yellowhead Chiefs.
The midgets rounded out the weekend with a hard fought 3-2 loss to the Cougars.
Next game for the Thistles is Wednesday at Thistle Rink against the Winnipeg Wild.
Torch Relay Kenora

The Kenora Catholic District School Board is getting funding to help welcome the Olympic Torch to town early in the new year.
Kenora M.P. Greg Rickford announced just over 61 hundred dollars to host an event on January 4th.
The funding comes from the Ministry of Heritage.
The separate school board plans to hold its own multi-lingual opening ceremony, a multi-school
torch relay and have students participate in a number of sporting events during the day.
The Olympic Torch is scheduled to arrive in Kenora at 6:00 on January 4th.
Kenora M.P. Greg Rickford announced just over 61 hundred dollars to host an event on January 4th.
The funding comes from the Ministry of Heritage.
The separate school board plans to hold its own multi-lingual opening ceremony, a multi-school
torch relay and have students participate in a number of sporting events during the day.
The Olympic Torch is scheduled to arrive in Kenora at 6:00 on January 4th.
No New Flu Cases
For the first time in over two months, there were no new cases of the H1N1virus reported in northwestern Ontario.
The latest statistics from the Ministry of Health indicates there wasa big decline in swine flu outbreaks this past week.
So far this fall, there have been 73 cases of the H1N1 virus innorthwestern Ontario.
There will be just two more flu shot clinics this year in Kenora.
Local residents can make an appointment for December 23rd or 30th at the Health Unit office on Ocean Avenue.
The latest statistics from the Ministry of Health indicates there wasa big decline in swine flu outbreaks this past week.
So far this fall, there have been 73 cases of the H1N1 virus innorthwestern Ontario.
There will be just two more flu shot clinics this year in Kenora.
Local residents can make an appointment for December 23rd or 30th at the Health Unit office on Ocean Avenue.
Drug Warrant
Three people have been arrested in Fort Frances on drug charges following a bust by the Community Drug Action Team.
Initially, the OPP stopped a vehicle in Fort Frances and discovered some Oxycocet pills and marijuana.
Police subsequently conducted a search warrant on a home in the west end of the town and seized a number of drugs, including Oxycocet.
The street value of the drugs is extimated to be over a thousand dollars.
The OPP have not released the names of the accused, but they are due to appear in Fort Frances Court on January 25th.
Initially, the OPP stopped a vehicle in Fort Frances and discovered some Oxycocet pills and marijuana.
Police subsequently conducted a search warrant on a home in the west end of the town and seized a number of drugs, including Oxycocet.
The street value of the drugs is extimated to be over a thousand dollars.
The OPP have not released the names of the accused, but they are due to appear in Fort Frances Court on January 25th.
Police Services Board Meeting
The Kenora Police Services Board is looking into the final report delivered by the former Chief of the Municipal Police.
Several members of the board including Len Compton and Glenda McMillan want Dan Jorgenson to complete a report for his last day on the job.
Chair Colin Wasacase explains there is no report from July 16th to the 17th; the day the OPP took over command.
The board is considering speaking to their legal advisor about the matter.
Several members of the board including Len Compton and Glenda McMillan want Dan Jorgenson to complete a report for his last day on the job.
Chair Colin Wasacase explains there is no report from July 16th to the 17th; the day the OPP took over command.
The board is considering speaking to their legal advisor about the matter.
Drive Test Strike Over
DriveTest facilities should be open for exams the first week of January.
Staff who've been on strike since August have reached a tentativedeal with the company.
The company will also be hiring 100 people to deal with thebacklog that's expected to take several months to clear.
Staff who've been on strike since August have reached a tentativedeal with the company.
The company will also be hiring 100 people to deal with thebacklog that's expected to take several months to clear.
Economic Development Kenora
Kenora City Council has approved a new organizational structure for the Lake of the Woods Economic Development Commission.
Council met yesterday morning with members of the commission.
Geordie McEwan is one of the directors and says under the structure, the city's economic development officer will now report directly to the commission.
In the past, the Economic Development Officer reported to the City Planner, but with the resignation of Jeff Port last month, the commission decided ona re-organization.
McEwan says the new organizational structure is now the way most Economic Development Commissions operate in the rest of canada.
Council met yesterday morning with members of the commission.
Geordie McEwan is one of the directors and says under the structure, the city's economic development officer will now report directly to the commission.
In the past, the Economic Development Officer reported to the City Planner, but with the resignation of Jeff Port last month, the commission decided ona re-organization.
McEwan says the new organizational structure is now the way most Economic Development Commissions operate in the rest of canada.
Tourism Zones Changed
Ontario's Tourism Minister is defending the creation of 13 new tourism marketing regions.
Northwestern Ontario belongs in a huge district that runs all the way from the Manitoba border to Sault Ste. Marie.
Monique Smith says while there have been some nay-sayers, she believes themarketing regions will help build the tourist industry.
Smith says they will also be providing another 25 million dollars to the tourism regions over the next two years to help with the transition.
Northwestern Ontario belongs in a huge district that runs all the way from the Manitoba border to Sault Ste. Marie.
Monique Smith says while there have been some nay-sayers, she believes themarketing regions will help build the tourist industry.
Smith says they will also be providing another 25 million dollars to the tourism regions over the next two years to help with the transition.
Crimestoppers Year In Review
The Crimestoppers program in Northwestern Ontario and Northern Minnesota had another successful year.
Executive Director Doug Anderson says they saw an increase in tips over 2008's 1-thousand 700 hundred tips.
Anderson notes they've also revamped their Crimestoppers website to include blogging and other new features.
Executive Director Doug Anderson says they saw an increase in tips over 2008's 1-thousand 700 hundred tips.
Anderson notes they've also revamped their Crimestoppers website to include blogging and other new features.
Friday, December 18, 2009
Wendy Cuthbert Downtown Revitalization
Kenora City Council has almost finalized plans for phase two of the Downtown Revitalization project.
Council held a special meeting yesterday to go over the plans for the Harborfront area.
Councillor Wendy Cuthbert says council has agreed to spend a bit more money to fully cover the festival site north of the Thistle Pavillion witha tent structure.
The festival site tent will cost about 600 thousand dollars, while the tent to cover the stage area has been estimated at about 550 thousand dollars.
Council hopes to put the project out for tend sometime in February.
Council held a special meeting yesterday to go over the plans for the Harborfront area.
Councillor Wendy Cuthbert says council has agreed to spend a bit more money to fully cover the festival site north of the Thistle Pavillion witha tent structure.
The festival site tent will cost about 600 thousand dollars, while the tent to cover the stage area has been estimated at about 550 thousand dollars.
Council hopes to put the project out for tend sometime in February.
Fishing Regulations
The Ministry of Natural Resources has a number of changes in store for Northwestern Ontario Lakes.
Fishing regulations have changed for area lakes in Atikokan, Red Lake and Lake of the Woods.
The 2010 fishing guidelines are available online or a hard copy can be picked up at licence issuers starting December 31st.
Fishing regulations have changed for area lakes in Atikokan, Red Lake and Lake of the Woods.
The 2010 fishing guidelines are available online or a hard copy can be picked up at licence issuers starting December 31st.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)


